Spink County Museum
The mission of the Spink County museum is to tell the story of the peoples that lived in the area now known as Spink County.
In 1955, the Pioneer Club, a longstanding men's club in Spink County, reorganized to form the Spink County Historical Society. Several women of the community joined and work was begun on building the current museum structure, completed in 1957. The museum was dedicated on June 25, 1960.
One of the first major museum displays was the Hindersman Collection, a widely renowned collection of butterflies from all over the world. It also includes over 300 large and small taxidermy mounts. That collection is presently in secure storage as toxic compounds were used as part of the preservation process, a normative taxidermy procedure in the early 20th century. The collection was donated to the City of Redfield upon the death of H. J. Hindersman on February 12, 1935 where it was on display at Refield City Hall after Earl Crook and Clarence Luxton devised a way to store all the specimens.
Following the opening of the new museum, the Hindersman Collection made its way to its new home where it was proudly on display for many years (until the discovery of the toxic compounds in 2011). Along with the acquisition of the Hindersman Collection, the Spink County Museum acquired cases of items donated by the early pioneering families. Many cases retain their original organization by family, while some items have been moved, rearranged, and paired with complimenting objects to allow for more meaningful exhibition.
While the pioneering history of Spink County is rich, it is not the only history to be told. Just outside of Redfield, Spink County, Council Rock and Armadale Island marked important locations for the Native American tribes that first called this area home. Council Rock was actually, according to word-of-mouth and some records, the Native American capital of the Dakotas.
Henry was born on March 5, 1858 in Westfalen, Germany and died on February 12, 1935. Henry is buried in Redfield at Greenlawn Cemetery next to his wife Margaret. She preceded her husband in death and was buried at Greenlawn Cemetery in 1917.
Redfield, South Dakota